The answer is simple: OVERHEAD.
There's way more to business than just a product, shipping, and the money you send us. We have to pay for many things to facilitate this transaction that you may not even be aware of!
For every transaction, we have to pay:
- Shipping for the item to get to you
- Labor costs for the item to be shipped
- Labor costs for any customer service support you needed along the way (this is a couple thousand dollars a day!)
- The wholesale cost of the item (which isn't cheap!)
- Rent for warehousing that item if we accept the exchange / return
- Pay Pal (or BitPay) transaction fees (regardless of how you pay)
- Labor costs for the item to be inspected
- Labor costs to maintain inventory and depreciation schedule in warehouse
- Credit card transaction fees if you pay with a card
- Shopify fees to the SaaS platform that hosts our site
- State sales tax (if applicable, because we don't make you pay it, but someone still has to!)
- Operating costs of the website itself -- it isn't free to maintain a site this big!
- Operating costs of the software needed to support every transaction on the site; we use over 20 individual software programs in the course of any given day, and all are professional grade, meaning that they are VERY expensive!
So, as you can see, we have way more expenses in every transaction than meets the eye!
It costs us valuable time and resources to process returns. We charge you a fee to pay for these costs.
Simple as that!